So today , three of us went to Dripping Springs. It was a nice cool day for it and I was hoping that the coolness of the day would keep the rattlers in their caves... but nooooo... at the ranger office I asked how many rattlers we might see and the ranger said, " oh they are out there."
The trail to the springs was about 3 miles round trip... so we decided to go to the cave... la cueva...(the cave has had been a place of dwelling for many over the years.)
We got to the trail head and started hiking up to the cave... it was about 3/4 of a mile to la cueva. I of course, ended up walking third....great... I walked very slow and made a lot of noise.
The ranger had told us that the snakes had given up rattling before striking because when they rattle they end up losing their heads and rattles. ( it is illegal to kill them though) Apparently the snakes have wised up to shaking their rattles. in spite of it all...dad and Case saw only one rattler slithering out of the way... Case was so nervous that he ran away in spite of having the camera.
We did see a snake... it was a garter snake lazing around in a pool of water. He got that picture!
No comments:
Post a Comment